Saturday, September 25, 2010

Posture is equally MENTAL as it is physical.

Training is going well -- my pistols have gotten much stronger in the 4 weeks since I started focusing my training. Very pleased with this... in fact, I dreamed last night about performing flawless, effortless pistols on both legs. So it's in my noggin' to do it flawlessly on both legs! Therefore, I can and will do it. And I will have the 24kg pistol quite soon at this rate.

Since I'm off to work in a bit, I'll make this brief. I was just thinking about posture though.

I've noticed that I tend to slouch much more than I find acceptable: rounded shoulders, tight pecs, stretched rhomboids and traps, among other muscles. It's so important to maintain healthy, proper posture! And not just for the obvious healthful, physical side-effects; it's equally important for our mental health. What are you conveying to yourself and others when you're walking around shrunken in on yourself, as though you have something to be ashamed of or something to hide?

Especially women. We learn early on that if you walk with your chest out, you're probably weighing in too heavily on the hussy scale. And so we walk around with our shoulders rounded over, our chests sunk in, like we have something we ought to be ashamed of. Well ladies -- that's WRONG. We aren't meant to walk around with our thoracic spine in constant flexion, topped off with a chicken neck, or any variation of it. If that were the case, we'd have been born as chickens instead.

Also, for those who tend to sit for long hours at a computer, or anywhere else for that matter: take a look at the posterior tilt of your pelvis that is most likely rockin'. If you've got lower back pain, this is probably why. Get up from your chair every so often, do some fast-and-loose drills, do the hip flexor stretch, move around!

Life's too short to be all bound up, all of the time.

Please: make the commitment to sit up a little straighter, to walk a little taller. Just try it for a week. Who knows? Maybe if you move around and carry yourself with greater confidence, you may feel a direct effect on your mental health as well.

No comments: