Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fit, Fancy 'n' Fat

What a whirlwind of fantastic events. The RKC certification weekend is three weeks past; that simply boggles the hell out of my mind. It took me about a week and a half to fully recover, and training has been going quite well since.

In recent workouts:

-I did a double TGU the other day with two 16kg kbs. That was tough, but I got it done.
-A Neupert-esque doubles workout, using 12kg: 5 sets of 5 reps of each - swings, snatches, cleans, presses, front squats. 125 reps. Followed by 100 snatches with the 16kg kb.
-Worked Viking Presses and C&Js in class yesterday. For some reason my right arm intermittently doesn't straighten out during the second dip, and only does upon standing up tall. I dropped the weight to two 12kg, and that seemed to help. I'll be working that frequently to get the right wiring for it ingrained.

One thing that I find is important to keep in mind when doing any kind of double overhead activities: the finishing position of your hips is the SAME as the finishing position for your swing. Shocking! Don't visualize your hips going up with the weight (which will lead to your heels coming up off the ground and a general loss of hip drive); think about the tight contraction and drive of a Hardstyle swing, and those bells will go just where they need to.

Yesterday I had my consultation with Jess Yen at My Tattoo down in Alhambra. I first saw him at the Ink 'n' Iron Festival in Long Beach earlier this year, and had been instantly taken by his work. This man's work is jaw-droppingly beautiful. He recently won an award in New York under the category of "Best Tattoo Artist in the United States" for "Most Eye-Catching Tattoos", along with numerous other awards throughout the years. I spoke with him for about 45 minutes; he's a genius at what he does, and his energy is awesome. We hit it off and talked about some ideas that are going to be absolutely fantastic. It's a two year waiting list for an appointment, but I'm hoping that I might be able to get in there a little bit earlier. We'll see. Regardless, I'm 150% sure about the process.

Doug and I are going through a detox process for the next few weeks. We had decided that after the certification that we would have a day to basically eat whatever we wanted, and just have fun with it. That didn't happen - until today. French Toast is all I have to say. :) So worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things are sounding good! But hey, don't make life seem like it's going by any faster than it really is! It has thankfully only been 2 weeks since the cert ;)

Can't wait to see your tattoo when that happens!! Your workouts are sounding strong, by the way!

Laura Nepodal said...

Haha, oops. I guess it has only been two weeks. It feels like too much has happened in that time span for that to be possible. :)