Sunday, July 26, 2009

A couple of goals

[Bruno ze Frenchie]


A few things to strive for in regards to training:

-Complete the new Snatch Test (100 reps in 5 minutes) with the 20kg kettlebell
-Do 200 snatches in 10 minutes with the 16kg kettlebell
-Snatch the 32kg kettlebell
-Press the 24kg kettlebell
-Learn the pistol

1. Complete the new Snatch Test (100 reps in 5 minutes) with the 20kg kettlebell:
I'm fairly certain I can already do this. I attempted it a couple of months back, and stopped at 78 reps with 1:20 to go due to hot hands, and haven't done it since. I'm going to get this done before the certification next month.

2. Do 200 snatches in 10 minutes with the 16kg kettlebell:
I believe I can do this, too. I haven't attempted it yet, and I know it's a huge mental exercise along with a feat of endurance. So um, I might be being a little bit optimistic. I'll be shooting for this one in the next week or two.

3. Snatch the 32kg kettlebell:
Is it ballsy to say that I think I've got it in me? I snatched the 28kg 'bell at the LA Fit Expo in January. I'm going for it, though; just need to make sure the hands are fresh, and I'll be doing a negative press from the top to the rack.

4. Press the 24kg kettlebell:
This one I'm definitely a little be ashamed of. For all my other feats, my press tends to be my weak point; a certain someone seems to think it's in my head, and I'm inclined to agree to a degree. Recently my presses have gotten a lot more solid due to a tweak in my breathing pattern that's caused me to be much tighter. A lot of presses need to be done; this one might have to wait until after the cert.

5. Learn the pistol:
This is something I've always meant to work on, have said I'll work on, and never do. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to train this, but I'll post when I get some tips and suggestions from a more knowledgeable source.

Also, I did a get up with the 32kg kettlebell again yesterday after having not for a month or so, and it felt very solid. I'll keep with this weight for a bit, and then look into maybe trying something a little heavier...

3 comments:

Lexy said...

Bruno!!! But alas, why is Bruno in a post about kettlebell workouts? Are you going to up your training by pressing Bruno, or even snatching him?? Boldly going where no workout has gone before? Or is he looking up in amazement at your bulging rippling muscles as you snatch the 32kg kettlebell? :D

Lexy said...

On second thought, tell Doug that should be our new workout routine: snatching frenchies. I believe it would greatly contribute to the excitement and enjoyment of our workouts, not to mention it would bring us a lot of attention from onlookers ;)

Laura Nepodal said...

Bruno needed to go down in the archives, for sure.

I like your thinking. I think we should have alternate days though for variety; frenchies, English, Bostons. Utter fluffy madness.