Wednesday, September 10, 2008

All about strength... except for one strange paragraph

I have been perpetually sore since Sunday -- extreme tastiness. My upper back especially has been totally demolished. I was surprised that my abs weren't more sore after the workout at kettlebell class on Monday -- just some twingy serratus stuff! The body is definitely tired, though I'll probably do another KB workout today.

I'm really pleased with my strength gains, which are most notable in my core, my shoulders and upper back. It's really something else to just feel good almost all of the time, as opposed to the other way around -- I still haven't gotten over that. I hope I never do.

I was hanging out on campus yesterday with a guy friend of mine, and we were comparing obscure muscle composition. I blew him out of the water with legs and abs, he beat me with forearms obviously and one muscle in particular ("That's your jack-off muscle -- unfair advantage!") and barely beat me out on rear-delts. We didn't compare triceps, but I'm pretty sure I would've had him there, too. What hit me then is that I'm really up there with a lot of the boys, and pretty damn strong for a woman. There's a lot more to do, but I allowed myself a moment to pat myself on the back. Leaps and bounds of progress from lots of hard work, frustration, pain, tears, sweat and sometimes blood, but ALWAYS exactly what needs to be done and a journey that will hopefully never end!

Side note: last night my girl friends and I were looking online at different bedroom-appropriate costumes... ahem... and were finding some great stuff before stumbling across man lingerie. Now, don't get me wrong, if they could figure out how to make really sexy man lingerie, I'd say GO FOR IT! Maybe they have, and I just haven't seen it. But a man-thong with a fuzzy elephant head and trunk placed over the junk is just not my idea of sexy, for some odd reason. Admittedly, I'd probably have a very memorable laugh if I was confronted with one. I'd totally post the picture of it if I wasn't at school right now. Bummer, huh?

Anyway, back to the point for a minute. I think what people tend to disregard when they consider getting into better physical shape is that not only will they look and feel better about themselves, but their entire mentality will be more positive, especially when you're eating healthy and giving your body exactly what it needs. When people are in-tune with their body and really get it, they understand that it's more than just an art of sculpting one's body -- it's also an exercise for one's mind and mental strength. Somehow, it can even become a spiritual practice. Our body is our haven that harbors the essence of what we are, and if we don't care for it everything else starts to lose structural integrity, too. Who and what we are is all conjoined in some perfect balance that I hope to figure out to the very core.

What a trip!
(And I'm doing THIS again in the next month or so):


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have become so much more self-assured and happy with yourself! I'm very proud of you Laura, keep it up! I know that you're really on the path because I am certain you don't need to be told to keep it up anymore. Being healthy and happy has created a circular, self-feeding system in you. Just keep getting close to all of your goals, that's all I can tell you to do.

-Tim