Monday, August 4, 2008

RKC Cert. in LA

Yesterday I drove down to L.A. with Tim and Rusty to volunteer at the RKC certification course.  I was totally stoked from the get-go as I've gotten more and more obsessed with RKC.  As soon as we see the field, the first thing we're able to pick out is a huge group of people in brightly-colored clothes.  My first thought was, "Hmm... not quite what I expected..."  Then we round the corner, and see another horde of people, but these are dressed mostly in black and it looks like they're standing in a battlefield of wounded little iron soldiers.  Hell YES!

I felt like a kid in a candy store.  The three of us sat for awhile and just watched the work outs -- I wanted to play, too, damn it!  Seriously though, being there was a fantastic experience despite only getting a handful of hours to be a part of it.  The energy was riding high despite how exhausted the participants must have been after nearly three whole days of pain and of getting their asses kicked to a whole new dimension.  I really felt honored to be there amongst all of the participants and the instructors, as well.  Pretty awesome that I can say that I perfected my snatch technique under the tutelage of Dan John.  The truth is, is that I know I'll be there.  Without a doubt I'm going to go through with the RKC cert.

The thing that's so funny to me is that when I went up to Pavel to introduce myself and to tell him how much I admire him, I got SO tongue-tied.  Shit, I never get tongue-tied around people.  I've met other "big names" before, but for some reason I felt completely humbled and my brain stopped functioning properly.  I stumbled through it though and I think I said what I meant to say?  Haha, poor Doug, I was still in a state of awe when I went over to him and went to shake his hand with uncharacteristic cordial formality.  I got a funny look for that, and a bumper sticker that's going on my car today.

I also got to hand-pick two 16kg kettlebells from the lot, already battle-tested by the participants.  I picked my new babies with TLC, and am looking so forward to training with them with sweat and pain.

Class tonight is going to rock, I can't wait!  Thanks to Tim and Rusty for the fantastic company, conversations and for sharing in such a great day.  And thanks to Doug who has shared his passion for RKC with me and so many others.  I'm honored to be your student!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous that you got to work with Dan John. :P

Sunday ruled.