Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Now is a beautiful time.

I was driving home late last night from a friend's house after watching 'Magnolia' and had a lot of different issues on my mind. I felt equally weighed down and inspired by my thoughts and the ideas that the film presented. Really, really great film, for any who haven't seen it.

As I got nearer to my house, a dense fog was settled. It was about 2 AM, the moon was bright and high, and there are no other lights around where I live to drown it out. The fog was so thick and the moon so brilliant that the moon glow was reflecting blue and silver off of the mist, lighting up the hillsides and the air itself. I stepped out of my car and stood there alone for a good long while, my head back and my arms spread out, drinking it in deep.

No matter what's going on in life, no matter how crazy or painful or frustrating it may be, spectacles of natural everlasting beauty always bring me back to that place of being centered and impenetrable, especially when no one else is around.

I visited my sister's grave today and took her some flowers. I looked around at all of the different life spans that people there have lived... some were 80 or 90 years long, and some only 17 months, like my sister's. Life is so unpredictable -- how can anyone assume that there will be time to do that important deed in awhile from now? How can we dare to put everything off for another, more convenient time? When is it the perfect time to strive for your great potential? When is it time to START LIVING?

Now. Now is a beautiful time.

No comments: