Sunday, December 14, 2008

Multi-faceted gains


It's lovely to be able to just sit and know that there isn't something else looming over your head that you could--or ought to--be doing. It's certainly manageable when it's there, but some time without that pressure is going to be very good.

This week has been one of growth for me in many ways. I've pushed myself to uncomfortable limits in several aspects of my life; dealt with the resulting discomfort; learned from it; and this week, I think I achieved some sort of break through. Maybe not through the area of discomfort entirely, but I'm at a new level of understanding, strength, and self-empowerment. I plan to grip on to this new plane as securely as I can so that I can only continue upward, forward, and not slip back and down.

I'm definitely feeling a bit over-trained, but it was a solid week of training that I'm very pleased about: kettlebells, bodyweight workouts, indoor rock climbing. The legs are fatigued, and anything from the lats up to the neck is beat. I'm hoping to just take it easy today, though I might go on a night hike this evening with some friends to check out the moon in all of its awesomeness.

On another note, the knot up top would be a bad-ass tattoo with some minor alterations. It's linked with the Celtic goddess Morrigann. It's all about goddesses of death, war and fertility!

Anyway, it's not raining after all, and so I'm going to go for a walk. Enjoy the day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been kicking ass with your workouts lately so that is some well earned rest. We will need to deadlift soon though to counteract all of that resting.

That knot is very cool. It gave me a good idea, one that I can't share with you - ciao! :)

Adam said...

Laura

When you feel over training setting it-take some down time. Once your in a hole the way to get out is stop digging. Take off three days, just go for a hike or a swim.

Laura Nepodal said...

Thanks Adam. I ended up going on a night-hike last evening and was rather curious how I'd feel today; however, I slept a lot last night and took it easy for most of the day, and did well with the kettlebell workout tonight. I'm trying my hand at BJJ tomorrow, but will probably be taking a couple of days off after that. Definitely sound advice--thanks for it. =)