Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Massage

I am so grateful for opportunities to pour positive, healing energy into other people that are open an receptive to it.  What a great reminder it is that there's a lot more going on outside of ourselves, and also a fantastic way to touch on connections with other people.

I gave two massages back-to-back today at the clinic after a few-month long break.  The first woman I worked on was a beautiful 60 year old woman that was just absolutely radiant and bubbly.  She's got a lot of post-menopausal issues -- fibromyalgia-like symptoms, mostly, as well as swelling around one of her patella.  Extremely tight traps, rhomboids and neck because of having a large chest.  It was a real pleasure to work on her, because she just had such beautiful energy and was very receptive.

The second guy was a wreck.  Recent knee surgery on his left knee has caused his right knee to swell up and inflame due to overcompensation (it was a knee sort of day), and his right shoulder had been operated on due to rotator cuff issues.  Also, his friend jumped on his back and screwed up the right side of his back.  I got to learn some interesting methods of actually massaging the subscapularis from the instructor that was walking about, so that was pretty awesome.  I also learned a lot of ways to work on a fucked-up knee, since the knee usually gets that way due to a combination of tight quads/hamstrings/tibialis anterior and tendons.  I noticed one of the tendons in his hamstrings would hyperextend when I bent his left knee, too.  Anyway, crazy massages for my first time back in a few months, but I got tipped $30 between the two, which is way more than the usual $3-$5 you normally get in a massage clinic.

More importantly though, I was able to get outside of myself and really drop into a blissed-out state of being, and focus on giving rather than on my own current issues.  It's just so important to not always be egocentric and self-focused... giving can be as beneficial to the giver as it is for the receiver.   I'm also relieved because my cat, who's been hospitalized for the last few days, has finally made a turn for the better... I was preparing myself there for the worse.   All very good news!  I hope I can get some sleep tonight, though. 

No comments: